RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
PLEASE DO NOT COPY WITHOUT CHECKING FIRST
FOR ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA WILL BE UPDATED
AND SOURCE REFERENCES
ADDED AS RECEIVED
|Photo of Adolphus and/or Mary or family group would be appreciated for insertion here. Thank you.|
Adolphus Ware Harlow
and Mary Fanning
Adolphus Ware Harlow
ADOLPHUS WARE HARLOW, a farmer and a Confederate veteran of the Civil War, was born March 19, 1832, in Nelson Co., Virginia, son of Nicholas Harlow and Jeanetta Bridgwater. He was brought as an infant from Virginia to Cooper Co., Missouri, with his parents, and then to Hopkins Co., Texas, in 1846. He resided in Hopkins County the remainder of his life "except 4 yrs". Adolphus was married May 8, 1858, in Hopkins County to Mary Fanning, who was born August 7, 1841, in Mississippi, daughter of John and Matilda Fanning.
Adolphus joined the Confederate Army during the Civil War and served as a sergeant for three years in Company C of Baylor's Texas Cavalry. After the war, Adolphus settled and improved 160 acres of farm land in Hopkins County. He received his land patent from the government on July 10, 1873.
When Adolphus applied for his pension on April 5, 1902, at the age of 70, he was blind and had rheumatism. He owned a lot in the town of Como valued at $500.00, a horse worth $30.00, a cow worth $20.00, and community interest in lien notes of $500.00.
Adolphus died April 15, 1914, in Como, Hopkins Co., Texas, and was buried in Como Cemetery. His wife, Mary Fanning, survived another eight years and died June 27, 1922, in Como and was also buried in Como Cemetery.
Adolphus and Mary had the following known children:
1. Wilson Harlow [Mar. 11, 1859- ]
2. Eudora Lee Harlow [May 20, 1860- ] m. E. E. Addy
3. John N. Harlow [Feb. 22, 1862-1913] m. Minnie Hagood
4. Martha Harlow [July 12, 1865-Sept. 19, 1919] m. Theodore Collins
5. Charles William Harlow [Apr. 16, 1868- ] m. Addie Taylor
6. Elizabeth G. Harlow [Apr. 1, 1870- ] m. S. H. Downing
7. Robert A. Harlow [Apr. 3, 1872- ]
8. Thomas Ware Harlow [Feb 23, 1874-Mar. 29, 1912] m. Emma Forrest Hansard
9. Maude G. Harlow [Mar. 10, 1876- ] m. Will Griffis
10. Edna K. Harlow [Feb 15, 1878-after 1930] m. Alva N. Tippit
11. James G. Harlow [Aug 9, 1880- ] m. Nellie Lewis
12. Grace Harlow [1883- ] m. Carroll
1840 Census, Cooper Co., Missouri
1850 Census, 8th Judicial District, Hopkins Co., Texas, p. 145a
Hopkins Co., Texas, Marriage Records
Texas Land Title Abstracts, Lamar District, Hopkins Co., File 62, Patent #162
National Park Service Civil War Soldiers and Sailors "Names and Records of Service of Civil War Soldiers"
Confederate Pension Application File, Pension No. 09040, Hopkins Co., Texas
Como Cemetery, Como, Hopkins Co., Texas